Beverly vs. Patterson House
About this Exploration:
The Beverly House is a classic 1884 Queen Anne Style Victorian with a three-story turret and the wrap around porch so typical of the Queen Anne style. Situated on three-landscaped
Burlingame city lots on the corner of Dakota and Fremont, the main house is 3,500 sq. ft. with a total of 13 rooms including two parlors, four bedrooms, four baths, den, kitchen, and a third floor ballroom. The house is furnished primarily with period Greek and Egyptian revival
Eastlake and other oak antiques. The house has all of its original fixtures including many ornate brass fittings and copper gas lamps that have been converted to electric. The red oak trim in the house still has its original carvings and finish. The reception foyer sports a tiled fireplace with an ornate mantel and staircase, eight-foot tall oak pocket doors and nine-foot ceilings. The carriage house has been converted into 1,000 sq. ft. of living/rental space and hosts another seven rooms. The property also has a small barn and spa house.
Abraham Lincoln signed the original 1865 deed for the property on which the
Beverly house is built at 141
Fremont. The high quality of the house was the result of a competition between two builders who were brothers to see who could build the best house in
Burlingame. One brother built the similarly styled Patterson house at
517 Kansas Avenue and the other built the
Beverly house. The house was originally built for a banker named Thomas whose bank promptly failed and the house was sold to Philetus and Lovisa Beverly in 1885. Philetus Beverly was also a local banker and he and his wife had two children, a daughter named
Virginia and a son named Glen who ran Beverly Hardware Store in
Burlingame. It is unclear when the
Beverly’s sold the house and it served as a rental for many years. The house was then purchased by Glen Meridith, who sold it to Della and Jay Denny in 1959. They cleaned the place up and had it covered with steel siding. The siding protected many of the original details of the house like the intricate dental moldings around the porch. The Denny’s sold the house to Rose and Ron Nichols who began the restoration of the houses interior and turned it into a bed and breakfast called the Primrose Inn. When Rose passed away, the house stood empty for several years until it was bought by Jim and Nancy Nelson in 2002. They finished the restoration just before
Nancy passed away in 2007. This included removing the steel siding and restoring the architectural details to their original condition. Jim and Jean Nelson are the current owners.