Learn more about Morland by following the links below:
Historic Railroad Depot
About this Exploration:
The first train passed through Morland in October 1888. It would've been earlier but the Union Pacific already had a town called Fremont (Morland's original name) on the system, so the U.P. renamed the town "Kalula" so as to omit any confusion. The depot was then built and the name changed in April 1892. The railway was used to ship various commodities from Colby to Salina by the 827; the line was called the Plainville Branch.
There was also a mill on the northside of the tracks called the Morland Milling & Grain Company. In February 1909, a fire spread from the mill to the depot, consuming both. The depot was then rebuilt and was back in business in late 1909.
Oftentimes, the train lovingly referred to as the "Cattlemen's Special" would travel through Morland and pick up loads of cattle bound for Kansas City. Now the Morland depot is considered one of the Ghost Railroads of Kansas.
Photo courtesy of Mike Boss, artist
Painting by Mike Boss as depicted from his father Warren Boss, who rode the same train through Morland to Kansas City on numerous occasions in the 1920s.
Morland, KS 67650
410 N Pomeroy
Hill City, KS 67642