Scott City Explorations
Learn more about Scott City by following the links below:
Scott County Courthouse
303 Court St.
About this Exploration:
The land that the present day Scott County Courthouse stands on was purchased on July 15, 1885 for $200 by Ida L. Eastman, from the United States Government. This area included 160 acres.
On July 27, 1885, she sold half of her land to M.S. Parsons for $500 who then sold 51 and 17/100 acres to the Scott City Company on September 14th of the same year, for $2,000. A day later, Miss Eastman also sold 51 and 17/100 acres of her share to the Scott City Company for the same amount.
Scott City Company then dedicated block 22 to the public as a courthouse square on September 18, 1885. The original courthouse was built in 1888. In 1924, the current court house was voted on and the cornerstone was laid on November 11, 1924.
The courthouse was build by Henderson & Riggs of Larne for $67,250. The courthouse was, and still is, a beautiful brick building with magnificent stone columns, and iron work. Although it has had some updating, such as an elevator, it is much like it was in 1924.
Scott City Tourism
221 W 5th
Scott City, KS 67871