Learn more about Antonino by following the links below:
Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church and Sisters of St. Joseph Convent
Antonino Rd. & 210 Ave.
About this Exploration:
As the town of Antonino grew in size after World War II, the Catholic community there realized the original 1905 wooden church was becoming overcrowded. Walter Ford of Lawton, Oklahoma, designed this Gothic-style building of buff brick, measuring 40 by 90 feet, with an attached five-room rectory, full basement, and kitchen facilities. Contracted by Tom Lenahan of Jetmore, the new church was built with donated finances and labor by local parishioners. Bishop Frank Thill dedicated the church on May 26, 1952. A full-time priest occupied the rectory until the early 1980s. Today, the parish is serviced by St. Joseph's Church of Hays. Antonino men and women continue to maintain the structure, which has a weekly Saturday evening Mass, the annual fall feast, which is held the first Sunday of November and frequent parish gatherings. Although the church is normally locked during the week, visitors are welcome to make arrangements to view the church and see the stained glass windows, statues and beautiful interior furnishings.
Since the town's founding in the early twentieth century,
Antonino also enjoyed the presence of the Sisters of St. Joseph. With construction of a new church came
a new convent, likewise built of buff brick, located immediately south of the
rectory. Nuns there taught school
and played valuable roles in the community until the convent was closed in
Today the building is the private residence of Jim and Shelby Doty. It is located just south of the church and can be viewed from the street.
Hays, KS 67601
Hays, KS 67601