Learn more about Humboldt by following the links below:
Camp Hunter Park
806 S 1st St
About this Exploration:
Originally the area now known as Camp Hunter Park, in the southwest corner of the town of Humboldt, was an area set up in 1861 by the 9th Kansas Calvery to protect the town. Most buildings of the town were destroyed when the Confederates set them on fire.
Later the area was turned into a sewage disposal plant and a part was used for a dump ground. The public dumped refuse on land beyond the dump boundries and the area became a blight to the city. In 1926 the American Legion Algy Doty Post agreed with Iola and Chanute to sponsor a fourth of July celebration. Iola in 1926, Chanute 1927 and Humboldt 1928. Humboldt's citizens worked to clean up the camp area to have a place for the July Fourth event. The event drew one of the largest crowds ever. The fireworks were set off below the bluff of the Neosho River.
The park was first named Community Park. In 1935 Works Progress Administration (WPA) agreed to build two open and one closed shelter. The shelters still exist. At some time the name of the park was changed to South Park and later back to Camp Hunter to honor our Civil War troops.
Camp Hunter is also an RV park.
725 Bridge St
Humboldt, KS 66748